Sunday, January 19, 2014

Flocks of Flying Geese

This weekend I made the first of six sets of flying geese for an exchange I'm participating in at work. Because there are so many to make, I decided to use the no-waste technique. Here are the patches for 12 sets of 4 matching geese, all cut and ready to go:


Each set of 4 matching geese requires 1 large and 4 small squares. Our geese are supposed to be 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" (finished size 2" x 4"), so the large squares are cut 5 1/4" and the small are 2 7/8". I drew 3 diagonal lines on the wrong side of each small square, one from corner to corner, and additional lines 1/4" to each side of the center diagonal:


On to sewing, cutting, pressing:




And, repeat:




This is one of the most accurate ways I know of to make flying geese, and it's way faster than stitch and flip on each end of a rectangle. I'm going to get lots of practice the next six months!


No comments:

Post a Comment