Monday, October 21, 2013

Stitch a Sampler with Us!


It all started with a project to help my niece Lara learn to quilt. She made her version of this sampler last summer as part of her internship at McCall's. Now the project is being patterned in 6 parts, beginning in the December 2013/January 2014 issue of McCall's Quick Quilts. Here's my version, the one that appears in the magazine:

Studio Stash fabrics by Jennifer Sampou for Robert Kaufman
We named it Studio Sampler; click on the link for more details. Each installment of the pattern will also have special how-to photos for a piecing technique. This first part focuses on half-square triangle units, and includes patterns for 3 of the blocks.

I hope you'll give this project a look. I had a lot of fun making the quilt, and samplers are always exciting, don't you think? The magazine is just reaching subscribers and newsstands now, and you will also be able to buy digital and print copies here beginning October 29. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, thanks for the link, love mags I can download and look forward to choosing some I've spotted there. I'm a sucker for sampler quilts so this one is on the list (it's a very big list!). I've just unpicked most of one which I didn't like when it was all put together. I'll make some blocks in other fabrics and see how a different mix works. Maybe a different setting. As for sewing rooms - I spend a fair amount of time moving things around in mine - I think I need more space but just don't have it. Solution would be to buy less fabric - bit drastic that ...and as for a design wall - dream on, I need the wall space for storage. Look forward to seeing how your space develops. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Elaine, you are one determined quilter! I'd have been tempted to just finish the unsatisfactory quilt, give it away, and start over...I hate unsewing. Glad this little sampler made your to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete